Tonight’s festivities…
Puppy chow. No, not the Purina kind…though that is what first came to my mind. Apparently, it’s also the name for a peanut butter, chocolatey cereal mix? Anyways, my friends here decide they would like to expose their Moroccan families to American food/obesity by making some of this “puppy chow” and I decide to tag along for the ride. So, we set off for the nearest grocery store in pursuit of every cavity causing ingredient we can find. [Side note, since being here I crave chocolate daily. I don’t always indulge, but damn, I do want it all the time.] Anyways, after thirty minutes of trekking alongside some major highway and crossing several roads which aren’t meant to be crossed, we find it: Marjane. Only it’s not really a grocery store…more of a MEGAstore with everything a person could possibly want including an ice cream shop and a Pizza Hut. And I think to myself, Wow, a Moroccan Walmart.
Once inside, chocolate cravings are satisfied, ingredients are bought and some over-ambitious man with a full cart almost cuts us in the check-out line. With plastic bags in hand, we begin our long walk back from the middle of nowhere and I think to myself Wow, this is the least cultural experience I have had since being here. Someone (up there) must have heard because while passing under a bridge, my shoe gets stuck and my bare foot sinks six inches deep into pure, authentic, 100% Moroccan mud.
Now I’m allowed to say it…I got down and dirty in Morocco.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

mm, my three favorite foods combined..might have to try that soon =)
ReplyDeleteand i'm glad to read that there's a superstore there!